Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Spiral Jetty

I received a letter from Grandma Fee yesterday and in it was an article about the Sprial Jetty. She wondered if we had been there and seen it. Well, we have! It was a few years ago (note the boys are quite little in the pictures) And it was amazing to see. We had heard about it from a neighbor and I could not resist going and seeing it. Of course the main reason for going was to see the Golden Spike Monument. The Monument was okay, the boys were not really impressed with it (could have been their age) they enjoyed the Spiral Jetty more -- water.
I love art and enjoy seeing "different" ideas and ways of expression. Modern art is fun for me, however Allan thinks it is a waste of time, money and effort. Just for an example I think the "tree" sculpture on the way to Wendover is really cool and a fun thing to break up the drive. I have tried to get Allan to stop so I can take a picture, but that won't happen!
Back to the Spiral Jetty... It was really cool to see. I had seen pictures of it online (see one below) and it was black, due to the rock. When we were there several years ago it had surfaced again after being underwater for a long period of time. So all the black rocks were now white with the salt. If you look at the pictures of Logan and Levi (below) you will notice the "pink" hue in the water (the pictures don't do it justice it was a brilliant pink). That was truly amazing to me to see water that was Pink. Also, the actual size of it was surprising. I can't imagine the man hours it would take to complete such a feat.

If you are ever around the Golden Spike Monument, you MUST take the extra 15 miles or so and the short walk to see this amazing "art".



Here is some information from Wikipedia:




The Spiral Jetty, considered to be the central work of American sculptor Robert Smithson, is an earthwork sculpture constructed in 1970.
Built of mud, salt crystals, basalt rocks, earth, and water on the northeastern shore of the Great Salt Lake near Rozel Point in Utah, it forms a 1500-foot long and 15-foot wide counterclockwise coil jutting from the shore of the lake.
At the time of its construction, the water level of the lake was unusually low because of a drought. Within a few years, the water level returned to normal and submerged the jetty for the next three decades. Due to a recent drought, the jetty re-emerged in 1999 and is now completely exposed. The lake level rose again during the spring of 2005 due to a near record-setting snowpack in the mountains and partially submerged the Jetty again.
Originally black rock against ruddy water, it is now largely white against pink due to salt encrustation and lower water levels.

No comments: