This is a long post and I am not a writer, but here is my journal of the Trek. We were not able to take camera’s (but we had a lot of Paparazzi) so I will post pictures when I get them.
On July 5-7, Allan, Logan and I went on a Pioneer Trek with the youth (ages 14 to 18) in our Stake. It was a truly awesome experience! We had a total of 92 youth that comprised 11 handcart “families” and were divided into 3 companies.
Allan & I were called last fall to participate as a Ma & Pa. Then in June, there were not enough youth signed up to form the needed “families” and so we moved up the ladder and were one of the 4 “Grandmas and Grandpas”. We feel that this was a very inspired move! We thoroughly enjoyed the new adventure. So instead of having 8 kids in our family, we had 32 grandkids and 8 kids (Ma’s & Pa’s).
The morning of the Trek we gathered at the Stake center and loaded onto 3 buses to take us up to the Deseret Land and Livestock property. This property is a running cattle ranch owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It comprises of 250,000 acres and they have 10,000 head of cattle. It is located just west of Evanston WY.
We arrived and all piled out of the buses. All the families were formed at this time, the youth did not know what families they would be in until now. It was inspiration from our Stake Presidency as to which families the youth were placed. It worked out great! Everyone in our families got along wonderfully. One of the Ma & Pa’s that Allan and I were over had taken their personal vehicle … and they got lost. So Al and I took over their family for a bit until they arrived (that is what grandparents do!). It was fun to rally the kids.
All the families loaded their handcarts with the gear and we were ready to hit the trail. This first day consisted of pulling and pushing for about 9 miles. The hard part of that is that we ascended in elevation over 1700 feet. So needless to say it was hill after hill. In fact we stopped saying “This is the last big hill” (I don’t think there was a last big hill?). We all had to have determination and endurance to pull up the hills. I am truly amazed at the youth of our stake! Allan & I never did hear any complaining, everyone just pitched in and did their job.
It was really hot and dry. Al and I were given directions to make sure that everyone was drinking and eating so that we did not lose anyone. The heat did take its toll and 4 youth (from our families) and they were treated for heat exhaustion (we had the most awesome support staff and medical personnel!). They quickly recovered and were back with us pushing and pulling.
The Women’s Pull:
Around 4pm we came onto a man from the National Guard holding an American flag. He indicated to us that the United States needed our men to go and fight. All of our men and boys were marched off. I must admit, that at this point, with the hard physical demands so far in the Trek, I was spent. I just cried. I knew it was coming, but I could not hold back the tears. I could not imagine how the sisters back in the time of the pioneers were able and willing to give up their men, when they needed them so badly to cross the plains. I remember looking over at Allan, he looking back at me (with tears streaming down my face) and the compassion on his face told me that it would be all right.
All the sisters gathered around and listened to some stories of women that had made a difference when difficulties came their way. We prayed for strength and then went to our carts. At this point clouds came overhead, and it started to lightly rain. It was a blessing to have it cool down for us. The heavens were weeping. I don’t think that any of us there will ever forget this part of the trek. It is so hard to explain in words the spirit that was there and the way the handcarts almost moved themselves. It was truly a miracle. All day it was difficult to push and pull, but here and now, missing the men, it was almost effortless. As we pulled up the hill, the men were lined up on each side of the trail singing, “We’ll Bring the World His Truth”. It was a sight to see. Many of the men were standing there and singing, with tears running down their faces. I don’t think I stopped crying until it was well over. Some of our wonderful young sisters noticed that the handcarts in the back were struggling some, so after getting theirs to the top of the hill they went back to help. What a lesson of love and compassion.
Later we women found out that the men had listened to our Stake President talk to them about the Priesthood and how it was given to man to use here on earth to bless all mankind. And, that as Priesthood holders they have the power to call upon the powers of Heaven. They also prayed and asked our Father in Heaven for a blessing on us women to be able to accomplish this thing. July 5th is a day that we all witnessed the power of the Priesthood. We received help from Heaven, there were others they’re helping us that we could not see. We truly witnessed the calling down of angles.
At the conclusion of the women’s pull, the clouds left and the sun beat down on us again.
Broth & Sea biscuits
After pulling into camp and putting up the “tents”. [I will need to explain “tents”. We took the handcart and put it on end (with handles in the air). Then draped a large tarp over the top and staked it down … quite ingénues.] The “cooks” (support staff) brought down broth and some sea biscuits. The broth was good, however, the sea biscuits were so hard, as Pres. Sedgwick stated “they would not soften up if you left them in the broth for days!” It was a sample of what the pioneers had to eat on their trek. After giving everyone a chance to try out the “dinner”. Someone called out that a buffalo had been killed and that there was stew at the “cooks tent”. All were very hungry and dinner was great.
All were tired and so bedtime was a welcome relief.
Day 2
We all pretty much arose with the sun. After taking care of sleeping bags, breakfast was made by the families. It was tasty! Eggs, hash browns, onions, green peppers and cheese all cooked in the Dutch ovens. Just what we needed to get back on the trail.
The families all sat down for their morning devotionals. It was wonderful to visit some of the families and to see the strength in the youth. They all would participate and learned from the scriptures and Ma & Pa. It was awesome to watch the spirit touch each of the youth in ways they did not expect. So many of them learned lessons that will help them through out their lives. Some of the youth really enjoyed the ability to be in a family group. It was a lesson on loving each other no matter your background. I think some of the youth enjoyed being in a “functional family” for the first time in their lives.
The “tents” were taken down and we headed down the trial. More pushing and pulling. Today would prove to be a bit easier only 7 miles and not so many hills.
Today on the trail we had a few with heat exhaustion and a young lady with a knee problem. But the families just put her on top of the cart and kept on going. This however, was very difficult for her. Later in family devotional she said she learned that while sitting on top the cart she could not help anyone, all she could do was to encourage them. Her lesson was the same as in our lives, sometimes you can’t physically “help” others with their trials, but you can help them with your encouragement.
On this day our company was in the rear. Our families struggled some and one of our families fell far behind. We talked about how on the pioneer trek when families fell behind no one would stop and wait. It was up to each one to keep up or catch up. On a particularly large hill this family was struggling to pull up the hill, when from the top several youth from the handcarts ahead came running down the hill to help. What a humbling sight to see. Here you had youth that had already pulled and pushed up this big hill and they were coming back to help those in the back. As I watched these tired youth help their peers I was overcome with gratitude to be able to witness this event. When we arrived at the top of the hill, the joy of the accomplishment was theirs! However, one of the first young ladies that came running down to help, had pushed herself too far and was now suffering from heat exhaustion. She gave her all for those she loved. She then had to ride in the support trucks the rest of the day. All involved with this experience learned a real lesson from her selflessness.
Porta Potties
Okay, I never thought that I would ever say that the sight of a porta potty would be a welcome one. But over these few days, I have come to love them. At first we were not excited at all with the prospect, but after 1 day we would look forward to the sight of those lovely green boxes on the horizon!
Games
After arriving at camp early afternoon, our activities committee had several games for the youth to play. It was fun to see how much energy they still had! We sat on the side of the hill and admired that youthful energy! There were gunny sack races, crossing the river, building a protection for an egg, and more. All had a really great time!
Fireside
That night after dinner, we were blessed to hear from Bro. Tim Taggart. He is an awesome man with great talents! I could talk for hours on him, his experiences, and his life. But this night, he talked with the youth on how they can do hard things. This trek was an example of something very hard but that they can overcome. They need to be strong to be able to overcome what life will bring. It was great!
After the fireside we had a hoe down and everyone had a great time trying out the “moves”.
Some of the families still had an over abundance of energy… not sure how that could ever happen! But they played games and had a wonderful time. We joined in for a while, but they outplayed us.
Day 3
This morning we woke with the sun and enjoyed fry bread and fruit for our breakfast. We only had one 2nd degree burn and one oil fire. Not bad… considering we had 92 youth! Again we had our devotionals, took down camp, and loaded our handcarts. Another 7 miles for today.
This day was great. We stopped for a bit and had a cow pie-throwing contest. Now that is something that you don’t do everyday! It was fun. And we all enjoyed the competition.
As the trekking progressed, all of us were actually wishing it were longer (okay only after a shower!).
In talking with another Ma & Pa they related an experience they had with one of their youth. After falling behind, the Ma and a young lady were talking and Ma pointed out to her that she noticed that it was much easier to push and pull than to just walk beside the handcart. I found this very true. I did not have one handcart to help so we moved about around the 4 in our company. It was truly hard to try and keep up with the youth pulling and pushing. We can relate this to our lives, as we help to move the Lords work along, it is so much easier to jump in and do all we can to help things move than to try and just walk along and do things ourselves. Things are easier when we all work together as one, moving in the same direction. We have truly gained strength for whatever lies ahead.
I was extremely impressed with youth. It was very hard, tiring, hot, EASY is not a word I would ever use in regards to the Trek. Just as in our lives, we need to realize that hard steep hills perhaps mountains will be in our way. Each of us here can look back in our lives and find that point when we can say “I made it up that steep hill (or that difficult experience), I can make it through anything”. For those of us that were on the Trek that first day was our point. It has been said, “I never said it would be easy, just worth it”. That was true. In talking with one of the youth, I asked them to turn around and look where they had come from, it was amazing to see the trail way off in the valley. We had made it to the top! Look at your what you have done and give yourself the joy of enjoying the accomplishment of a task that was so difficult.
Trek was awesome, not many of the youth “wanted” to go, but if you ask any of them today, they would go back in a heartbeat!! If you have the chance to go.... take it, you will never regret it.

2 comments:
Thanks so much for sharing the teachings of your trek. I was all teary eyed and felt a strong spirit as I read of your experience. What a blessing you have experienced. May you all continue to experience "teachings" throughout your life.
God Bless
Awesome! Cache and I went to the same place and were ma's and pa's a few years ago. Reading your blog brought back so many memories, and a few tears too, at remembering the inspiring womans pull. Thanks for sharing, I am glad you and Al got the chance to go.
Carrie
Post a Comment